Construcciones Yamaro is aware that work on high constructions is one of the most dangerous activities; consequently, falls from heights are a big risk for the life of workers.
It is important to distinguish that every work and activity in the construction sector has its risks, however, for Construcciones Yamaro all these risks can be handle and avoided in a right way in order to abstain from any health risk.
Different aspects about this topic and activities in the construction sector may lead to the most common primary risks, to which workers are exposed, and even supervisors may be victims of those risks if the necessary measures are not taken.
Construcciones Yamaro and the law
In compliance with the Organic Law on Prevention, Conditions and Working Environment (Lopcymat in Spanish), Construcciones Yamaro is committed with the security of each of its workers, always considering construction activities, installation, maintenance or repair work carried out in heights, with risks on free fall and serious injury. The company evaluates the following aspects:
- Dangerous conditions
- Making unsafe maneuvers
Accidents that can be handled
Many of the accidents in the construction sector, rather than being related to lack of knowledge or skills, are associated with the low valuation that takes into security systems. Nevertheless, Construcciones Yamaro can be sure that much can be achieved in the prevention of accidents if strict safety regulations for work on heights are considered. Some aspects to be considered are:
- In addition to individual protection, consider collective protection.
- Evaluate work surfaces that are not defective, slippery, unstable, disorderly, unmarked or deprived of secure access.
- Make sure of weather conditions are the appropriate. Sometime, weather can adverse job performance.
- Use appropriately all personal protective equipment: safety belt or harness, sling or gripper and lifeline.
- Install and monitor the entire devices related to worker’s protection.
- Report any defects, damage, misuse or lack of equipment or protective devices.
- If a safety device is removed, it must be replaced by an alternative one that does not decrease the level of security.
- Openly and responsibly report the accompanying dangers that the worker will be exposed to: power, sharp edges, moving equipment, confined spaces or handling of hazardous substances.
- Correct use of scaffolding, ladders and cranes: the use of these devices to access the work will depend on the functions, frequency of passage, height and of course, time of use. In addition to this information, the election must allow safe evacuation in case of imminent danger.
- Promoting safe traffic maneuvers roofs and canals.
- Use sturdy railings and height necessary to prevent slippage of workers or avoid falling tools.
- Conduct regular medical checkups to determine the healthy mental and physical condition of the workers.
- Train workers on theoretical, practical and on a regular basis related to the risks of working at heights, equipment and security systems, inspection and maintenance of equipment and security systems, safe work procedures and first aid.
- Evaluate the conditions and occupational hazards on a regular basis and on completion of the projects.